Individuals often suffer from anxiety as a direct result of taking steroids. Anxiety or fear has a close connection with insomnia which may progress into depression in the long term. Studies have shown that individuals with constant tension are 2.8 times more likely to develop depression and sleep disorders via the following mechanisms.
- Anxiety affects sleep quality, shortens the period of your deep sleep and increase the times of night awakening.
- Anxiety will affect an individual Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep significantly, extends its first REM period and increasing the number of eye movements.
A person with persistent anxiety and depression dramatically impairs his/her logical, social and psychological judgements. Besides, the person will also experience daytime fatigue, poor mood and feelings, a decrease of work productivity, a decrease of daily performance, loss of attention and memory. More severe stages of anxiety and depression will result in an increased risk of various physical illness which includes heart disease, high blood pressure, respiratory problems, metabolic disorders and excessive obesity.
An average adult has about 100,000 strands of hair. It is completely normal to lose approx. 50 to 100 strands of hair daily. There are two types of hair loss, one is sudden hair loss, and the other one is gradual hair loss. The formal is due to consumption of drugs, change of eating habits, and change of living environment, whereas the latter is much more usual for an average adult. Nevertheless, excessive hair loss can lead to adverse psychological distress. There is presently no effective cure for hair loss unless the patient opts for hair transplant surgery.
Based on lab research, men are more prone to hair loss, then females as a result of anabolic steroids. There are currently two drugs available to mitigate hair loss risks, namely minoxidil and finasteride. Unfortunately, these drugs do comes along with some tolerable side effects.
Androgenetic Alopecia (AGA) is the most widespread type of hair loss, which also known as male pattern baldness. 90% of all hair loss type is AGA, and it is more prevalent in men than female. Most patients usually start with mile hair loss in their 20s and then develop into more persistent hair loss during their 30s. The whole process may last around two decades. Nevertheless, Anavar and Dianabol consumption will expedite the entire course of hair loss.
High Blood Pressure
Most anabolic steroids will cause a reduced level of potassium in the body and result in high blood pressure. The risk of hypertension will be significantly higher if the individual is lack of folic acid, excessive salt in his/her diet, and having long term stress as a result of extensive training.
Since high blood pressure is a particularly hazardous side effect, one should not take it lightly. Untreated individuals can complicate their health through heart failure, renal failure, cardiovascular illness or stroke.
To alleviate hypertension risk as a result of steroid side effects, consumers should practice the followings.
- Do not smoke and drink
- Go for a Post Cycle Therapy (PCT) upon completion of a steroid cycle intake.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle
- Eat moderately with lots of greens in your diet
- Taking a folic acid supplement
- Reduce any mental stress and control your emotions
- Monitor blood pressure levels periodically since hypertension is often asymptomatic
Elevation of LDL Cholesterol Levels
Cholesterol is a crucial fat in your body, and the liver produces most cholesterol, only a moderate portion of it comes from the food that you intake, especially food that high in saturated fatty acids.
There is good and bad cholesterol. Good cholesterol is known medically as HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein) and serve as resistance against atherosclerosis and atheromatous and helps reduce deposition of fat in your blood vessels. Hence, HDL minimizes the probability of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. On the other hand, bad cholesterol is known as LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein). LDL itself is not bad, but when LDL is oxidized, it can induce vascular inflammation, damaged endothelial cells, and eventually cause arterial stenosis.
To lessen the levels of LDL cholesterol, users of anabolic steroids should adopt the below recommendations.
- Consume plenty of food or supplements rich in fibre. Ideally, consume them in combination with bile acids to reduce serum cholesterol concentrations. Recommended menu includes various types of grains, raw organic garlic, vegetables and fruits.
- If you are experiencing abnormally high LDL levels, you may consider discarding egg yolks in your meal for a couple of weeks.
- Do not take animal oil. Instead, consider taking edible oil (unsaturated fatty acids) such as vegetable, soybean, peanut or corn oil. Do not consume more than 30 grams daily.
- It is recommended to drink some tea. Tea is rich in polyphenols and can cut down your blood lipids while boosting your metabolism.
- Maintain a proactive lifestyle and positive psychological mind. Try to prevent any mental stress, emotional excitement or any negative thoughts.
If you have stopped taking any anabolic steroids for three weeks and received the above recommendation, but your LDL levels are still abnormally high, please seek medical attention.
Steroids and muscle stimulants are commonly known to cause harm to our liver, mainly as a result of overdose or prolonged consumption. There a few types of liver damage but the most prevalent among the steroid community being Drug-Induced Liver Injury (DILI; also known as drug-induced hepatotoxicity). It is the accumulation of toxic in the liver caused by the consumption of drugs which includes steroids. DILI will cause metabolites or allergic reactions in the liver and later develop into much more devastating health complications such as liver inflammation, fibrosis and necrosis.
DILI is usually challenging to diagnose, except doctors perform a liver biopsy. The principle treatment for DILI is to execute liver supportive cum protective treatments, detoxification, reduce harmful enzymes and perform appropriate hormonal therapy.
Depending on the liver complications that you are experiencing, below are some initial remedies to recover your liver that you could take into consideration.
- Hepatoprotective drugs. This medication helps to improve the metabolism of damaged liver cells and to promote cells regeneration.
- Detoxification drugs. These drugs can enhance liver detoxification functions, and repair damaged tissues surrounding the liver.
- Protective liver agents. PLA is used to stimulate your liver membrane, minimize lipid peroxidation, and to prevent liver fibrosis.
- Antioxidants drugs. This anti-inflammatory boosting medication can develop the anti-fibrotic and lipid-lowering effects of your liver.
- Cholesterol drugs. There are several cholesterol drugs available off the shelves. The more popular ones are S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) and ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA). These drugs are prescribed for the restoration of bile excretion of the liver and can significantly minimize the side effects as a result of bile metabolic disorder.